Thursday, November 27, 2008

Moment of Glory

Some people could only dream of this and you will have to imagine this as I have since I was not there either. But Kelsea had one of those dream like moments in her game last night. She couldn't even tell me about it-It was that unbelieveable to her. One of her friends told me what happened on the phone.

It was the end of the game. 3 girls had fouled out of the game. Kelsea was in as they were doing an inbound play in the last SECONDS of the game and they were down by three. One girl was suppose to be somewhere and she wasn't there so Kelsea had the ball and looked for the girl, she wasn't anywhere where she was suppose to be. Kelsea happened to see the clock winding down to the end. She decides to chuck the ball from 3 point land---As the ball is flying through the air the buzzer goes off and the ball GOES THROUGH THE BASKET!!!!! causing the game to go into overtime. The whole team tackles Kelsea on the floor. She starts crying because she can not believe what she just did. The coach asks her after that if she can still play because I guess she was still emotional and shaking. She did and one more girl that is their big point getter fouls out too. So they lost in overtime. Could you imagine????? I probably would have been crying if I had been there too if I could have seen that. What a moment of glory! Everyone complimented her all night and she got to where she couldn't handle all the attention, funny girl. She is only the center of attention when she wants to be.

So what I am thankful for in our house this Thanksgiving is that I live in this country where my girls can have moments like these. My girls have freedom and equality and the ability to be as great as they decide to be. I watched a PBS show about girls in India that are sold into sexual slavery by people they meet that they hardly know and it was absolutely heartbreaking. That the city and the country does almost nothing about it. It is pretty much a death sentence as they die young when freed from AIDS. It was never their choice. Their families don't want them back. I am so glad I live here. In this country where having all girls is as much of a blessing as boys. With all the opportunities they can imagine. I am blessed and ever grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I wanted to add an update to our weekend.
I don't know how many years now we will have a holiday mouse story to share. But we have another. Lee Joe was on his way home Friday night and Kelsea was at her game of glory. I happen to notice the cat was stalking the bookshelf and choose to ignore that fact as I was talking to Lee Joe. Then a few minutes later I heard Autumn squeal and say she saw a tail. I was still on the phone and knew that didn't sound good. There was a mouse just under the blanket on the quilt rack. I told Lee Joe I wished he was here because I had to do the mouse chasing and got off the phone. Amber and I grabbed some plastic tubs from ice cream and began our chase. There is not much to hide in or behind in the dining area if we could keep it there. I caught it by the tail once and it squealed so it alarmed me and I let it go. around we went some more it scampering here and there. I caught it a second time by the tail but I didn't let it go this time and so Amber came over with her bowl and we caught it. No stomping death this time either. So I covered the opening and took it out to the wood pile. I am a huge weinie when it comes to killing something-even an invading mouse so I set the bucket down and then kicked it over so the mouse would leave. I went to the store. When I came back Amber told me the dog and cat were acting funny still. I walked into family room and the dog guiltily jumped off the sofa. I jumped more at the sight of a MOUSE again!!! but this time deceased by maybe Spot trying to lick it like a baby puppy or kitten. It looked like the same one. So the mouse is dead and in the garbage now.

We had our turkey dinner and my mom enjoyed contributing this year. She says that cooking is one of her hobbies now but she doesn't get to it often anymore. My brother came over a little after we started and then he left not long later. We went out to Lee Joe's buddy's house. It is a very nice house. Scattergories seems to be the game of choice on Thanksgiving 2 years in a row. Everyone played it last year when we were in Washington and it was brought out again this year. Amber is driving me nuts with her boyfriend that is not a boyfriend. They are out of town so she is constantly checking the computer for e-mails from him and she has talked to him a couple times on the phone. Otherwise she wanders aimlessly and disinterested in everyone and everything else. Yep-that is missing a boyfriend. She still won't admit the obvious though.

Kelsea is the only one who did black Friday shopping with her friend. She was so afraid she wouldn't wake up at 4am that they just stayed up all night and she was home by 7am and slept all day.

We have been decorating for Christmas the past 2 days. We got our tree and annual ornaments last night. Today the 2 trees were decorated. We have a fake one in our family room with all the kids handmade stuff and my handmade stuff. The real tree in the living room has all the annual kids ornaments and ceramics ones I have painted from the early years of our marriage. We tried to make sure we don't have a tree fiasco like last year-the tree was so heavy it fell twice. Kelsea has been so funny and excited. She wrapped the presents she bought on friday so their are already presents under the tree. Then she drug Lee Joe outside who has been trying to toy with us with his scrooginess. She told him no more faces and to get outside and start hanging lights and she went out with him and they have been hanging lights for 2 hours or so now.

Lee Joe is leaving for Utah tomorrow again. We aren't sure how long he will be down there again. Most of the week I am sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cool moment for Kelsea. Happy Thanksgiving and stuff.

Janika said...

We had a rodent experience for Thanksgiving, too. I am going to get a second fake tree at the after christmas clearance, since I have two living areas now.