Saturday, June 28, 2008

just AMAZING!

I didn't have a plan yesterday when I got up. I have not accomplished much all week long anyway and there is no excuse except it is summer and I don't feel like doing much. I am driving myself nuts.

I decided to tackle the new shed that was impassable. I bought some shelving stuff early last week and have not started anything. But trying to start this project took awhile. I could not find one of my 3 hammers I have bought for myself. Found one that wasn't mine and muddy from Lee Joe. Then I couldn't find my drill. Yes my drill that Lee Joe relocates and looses for me. I finally found that. I had to buy screws because all the ones I had wouldn't work for the brackets I bought. So after what amounted to maybe a two hour delay in finding lost things and required stuff I hung some shelving in the shed. Then all the rubbermaid containers full of holiday stuff, fabric, and stored hand me down clothes and shoes were neatly stacked inside. That emptied the back half of the garage. So in the process the back part of our garage, which was worse than the shed, became clean and orderly and spacious. I went to the next half of the garage and tackled our DI/garage sale pile. I filled up a rather large TV box of girls clothes to overflowing and the carpet shampooer box to overflowing with adult clothes and I am going through the rest. It is so spacious in the back that it might become a play area for the girls and a place to store their toys. All that is so amazing because it was awful. Everyone was astounded. But Lee Joe has to do his tools and the stuff he made a mess with the last time I made it possible for him to park in the garage to do a tune up during winter. All that stuff is still on the floor. And there are two engines in the front and a mess of stuff from the 3 he took apart and then had to junk. So basically there is a long way to go. I get so frustrated because everytime I clean something up or put something away or do something landscaping-ish in the yard, he thinks it is an invitation to mess it up within hours or soon after I have taken care of something and I am not kidding! I have watched the stuff on Oprah on hoarders and I try hard not to be one. But Lee Joe tries harder to be one and make me one by all the crap he is bringing home all the time when there is an empty space. He is in his own way starting to slowly see it. He is working on it. It took 2 days to clean his truck and he has plans for more. I am letting go of more and more because it is overwhelming. When the swing set that sits in the front of the garage that we had the first year we were here goes away he will have finally let go. I am proud of the shed because it is necessary and useful stuff in there only. There is pile of get rid of stuff in the gargage because I have been purging. It just hasn't left the house yet. I have yet to work it through the kids that they are even more ridiculous hoarders than me. I can't make them get rid of something they are attached to because of my own childhood demons and how many times I left everything behind maybe to see it again in a few years. That is the source of my issue but they don't have that excuse. BUT it is a work in progress and some of the progress is pretty happy stuff to see. Kelsea cleaned and reorganized her closet yesterday(Yes I have one that will do that!)She says she has 32 pairs of shoes! I have NEVER owned that many shoes. I did not buy all those shoes for her either.

Today is Lee Joe's birthday. I need to find the jell-o and make it.

3 comments:

Janika said...

When I break Away from HGTV is is for Style or TLC. Style has Clean House, which is inspirational. I love collecting things in unsightly places so that I can have a dramatic result when I finally clear it out. That's what I have taken away from my home of origin. LeeJoe has a lot to overcome. He may soon overcome hoarderism, but the greater obstacle is realizing that you don't have to leave something messy for months. Putting away things as soon as you are done using them may take years to realize the value of. The habit of doing may take decades to develop, and only with his personal resolution and your incessant, but loving, patient reminders. You married a Lay. Hang in there.

Kim and family said...

I am tormented by the Layism or Layishness over and over again and all my children unfortunately are not immune! I think Amber is the most afflicted. But as small as the progress is I am celebrating the fact that progress is happening. The worst part is when I see him rubbing off on me.

Anonymous said...

You've done well to stave off the advances of Layism for like 18 years or something like that so you're doing well.