Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane

I know Janika may get a little bit of Ike but here is what my sister and grandpa are in for-
From an e-mail I got today from her

"Well, initially the eye of the hurricane was going to pass directly over us (Sealy) as a Cat. 2 hurricane still. Can you believe they are projecting it will be a hurricane this far inland?? But, it shifted slightly to the east and now the eye will pass over Houston. We will still see some pretty extreme winds and rain, though. They say that hurricane force winds are extending 115 miles from the center of the storm and tropical force winds are extending 275 miles from the center.

It is looking like Galveston is going to be devastated!!! You should see the flooding in Galveston already and landfall is still projected out 18 hours. Waves have topped the seawall already and they are at low tide. The storm surge is projected to be somewhere around 15-20 feet with 8-10 foot waves above that and the streets are already flooded! How awful. They have been under mandatory evacuation since yesterday. Some of the people that have been here for years have said they haven't seen flooding like that so far in front of a storm ever!!!

I talked to Grandpa yesterday and he says he is pretty prepared. He has a generator and water and food, so hopefully he will be fine. I will check in with him after the storm. We are all warned we will most likely lose power and be without it for an "extended period of time." Yippee! At least a cool front is coming in behind the storm and we are supposed to be in the 80s instead of the 90s for a few days afterwards.

Great timing! I was supposed to start working on Monday...now I have no idea what the plan will be. Anyways, the storm is supposed to take a sharp northward turn once it hits landfall, but they are showing it still being hurricane strength until Livingston. I don't know if you remember where that is, but that is like really far inland I would think for a hurricane."

She tells me Kailyn is very distressed but Dylan thinks it is cool.
I have been to Galveston a few times so seeing pictures on the news I recognize some of the places they show. It is a neat little town. Hopefully it won't be all gone after the storm.
My grandfather is on the west side of Houston. Where Sealy is, where Melissa is at is a 30-45 minute drive to my grandfather's house.

I am pretty miserable. I think I will have to go to the doctor whether I like it or not. Lee Joe went to work. He is limited on some of what he can do but he is doing OK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another in a long list of reasons NOT to live in the Lone Star State.