Thursday, February 05, 2009

Pneumonia

My poor kid. I came home today for lunch. I have been letting Kelsea sleep in the mornings because the minute she wakes up she coughs and coughs. So I get home at 11 and wake her up to see how she is. She is not right. She doesn't have a fever. She is coughing and when she stops she looks like she ran a mile. I ask her questions and she is just responding slow and not making much sense. I was trying to determine how tired she was still or if something was wrong. I went ahead and went back to work after I made sure she got her medicines and I was not feeling right about her. I am kind of slow trying to figure it out. But she should have been improving and that was a step backwards I thought. I talked to several people at the school and they said "take her in" Every time I do jump on that bandwagon I hear that it is viral. But I really felt like something was really wrong. I was able to get her an appointment this afternoon-that does not always happen at our dr's office, especially at 11:45. The PA we saw was really concerned. her lungs sounded clear but her ears were more infected. They did a chest x-ray. He said it was obvious she had pneumonia. So they gave her shot. She refused it. I coaxed and finally pulled my 140 pound solid muscle kid out of her chair and stood with her and held her as she cried. She has an inhaler now and since the shot, even though she is complaining more about the pain from it than she has about any other thing she has been through the past 2 weeks, she is acting more like herself already. Poor kid.

You know what? I am hammered. I am just hammered from all of this. It has been so stressful with just everything. Somehow I am not sick but I am exhausted. I need some sort of really long vacation. Lee Joe will be home in hours but that doesn't mean anything will ease up. I am listening to some ridiculous battle over who is going to wash the crock pot. At least it isn't 4 kids echoing each other's cough. I think we might be down two one really bad cougher and one mild one. I have been sighing and taking deep breaths for about a week now to calm myself but I don't think it is very effective. So I am hanging in there like always.

I think I will have some good reports on the little girls in the school art contest. I know right now Autumn won a first place for a watercolor painting and 2nd on a drawing and Kylee won a 2nd place on a drawing. There are a few more I need to find out about like Hannah's and a couple more pieces. I need to go e-mail teachers now. My two oldest have been trying to pull themselves out of a mountain of F's. Well Kelsea hasn't been well enough to do much on that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't jinx poor Kelsea... It just didn't sound right how sick she had been and the doctor deciding not to do the chest x-ray the first time.

At least now they know and she should start to get better.

Love ya,

Liss

Kim and family said...

I was wondering if that first antibiotic should have worked for it if it was and it wasn't the right stuff. The shot has helped a ton. Even though she keeps YELLING how her butt hurts.

The Woodward Family said...

You poor things. All of you! Luckily my pnumonia wasn't that bad last year, I just had some super-duper huge pills. I started to cry myself when you talked about getting the shot.

Man, it's time for the Lay family to catch a break! Enjoy your weekend.

Kreller Kaboodle said...

Glad she's on the mend now! Hopefully you don't have to go thru this again!

Janika said...

My babies are not doing great. I am worried that they will develop pneumonia, too. I asked for a blessing for them last night in hopes of prevention. Keep hangin. It can't last forever.