Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Recovery

I was about to fill out a blog when I saw a fire truck stop in front of my house. I was wondering what they were up to. I saw a guy in the front seat get out and walk to the front of the truck and he had to remove my trash cans from the road. How embarrassing.

Lee Joe's surgery went as well as could be expected. I took him in at 6:45 they had him ready to go at 7:30. He got out of surgery at 11 and we got home around 2.

It was a good thing he got the surgery done now instead of later. But he should have had it done a long time ago. Basically all the hearing bones in his ear were destroyed. The nasty thing grew to penetrate part of the bone that protects the brain. It didn't get the brain but in his ear now a little piece of his brain is exposed. THere is no chance of them restoring his hearing but hearing aids are an option. We didn't find that out about the hearing aids being an option until after the Doctor called to check on him later that night. His facial nerve is exposed and unprotected but still intact. If something happens to that nerve his face on that side would be paralyzed. All they were able to do for him is remove it and everything in his ear. They made his ear canal really large and now there is no chance the thing will come back but there is also no need for surgery again in 6 months. But every 6 months for the rest of his life he will have to have the ENT clean out his ear. and no one is to put anything in his ear ever because the risk of injuring his facial nerve is so high.

He has this lovely cup thing with an elastic band over his ear with gauze inside. I told the kids he is the one eared pirate. His ear is still there of course but it has stitches all around the back of the ear. and there is nasty drainage from his ear it is packed with foam. It is pretty gross.

The rest of yesterday wore me out. I had to make separate plans for Kailyn and Hannah yesterday. I had to go pick up his medications once All the kids were back at home from school and all their various places. The worst part of that is our insurance for medications is a joke. His antibiotic was $125 and the insurance knocked it down to $122. And that was for 10 pills!! I spent $166 at Walgreens. He is on Tylenol now for pain. After that I had someone bring us dinner and I left with Kylee and Autumn to their last basketball practice. I went to Target while they were there to get Amber some Dayquil. I didn't realize we were out when I went to Walgreens earlier. Dropped off those two in exchange for Amber to go to Honor Orchestra. My car pool didn't work out so I picked her up and went to Winco for some groceries so I wouldn't have to go anywhere today. We got home at 9:45. Everybody helped take care of Lee Joe. He was still really dizzy and groggy last night. And after 10 I changed the dressing on his bandage and got to sleep at 11. Long long day.

Today I am tired and taking the day really slow. Lee Joe is up and around a little more and he will be home the rest of the week. That is what the nurses all said and the dr. What did I say!! I think I have said plenty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have some vicodin I can send if you need.