Thursday, May 21, 2009

You know what the tooth fairy brought me?

I think everyone is now facebook addicted and no one reads blogs anymore. But I like more filler. So I will try to be the ever faithful blogger.

The point to this blog has to do with Hannah. She has a horrible time loosing her teeth. But she finally lost the tooth next to her top front tooth. She did it on her own. First of all that was exciting. And then it was dramatically sad when she was washing it off on our kitchen sink, with a bunch of dirty dishes in it, and she dropped it. Big tears and drama. But it fell in a bowl. We found it. All was well. She was excited all over again. She tells her dad that she doesn't want the tooth fairy to take it because she wanted to show everyone at school. OK. In the morning she asks her sisters "You know what the tooth fairy brought me" The girls ask her "what?" "Absolutely NOTHING!" She was pretty disgusted. I tell her "Hannah, Your dad said that you didn't want the tooth fairy to take the tooth isn't that true?" "I knid of did but kind of didn't." She replies. "Well dad had to keep the tooth fairy from taking your tooth last night." "Oh that is what all that noise was about." (he went on about health insurance kind of heatedly that night) . She showed off her tooth and the tooth fairy came last night and all was well once again.

Someone wrote their first piece of hate mail to the principal about me :( But all was made somewhat well again today. Within the same half hour the most difficult child in the school told his teacher that I was the duty that was the most fair. That like nearly floored me with shock. I would have never expected him to say that about me. So I took that as very high praise from him and managed to cope with the hate mail--a little better today. Not so great yesterday.

I wanted to tell a story that I have been meaning to share I can't give too many details. But I did work for the school several years ago for about a month. During that time there was a little that was very difficult. But it was so sad because we found out when he was really late for school that he had gotten himself up and walked himself to school down 2 busy intersections to be there. He was really too little to be doing that in his own. Somedays he had the same clothes on as the day before and his hands were so dirty like they hadn't been washed for days. We would get his hands cleaned up and find him some breakfast. One day I walked by his lunch tray and saw something on his tray. They were actual bullets for a gun. I stopped and walked back and went whoa!! I picked them up quietly and told him those were not things to bring to school and brought them to the principal. Before the end of the year he was in foster care. He was able to come back before the last day of school and he was so clean and looked so much better. He is still there. His circumstances are better, grandma takes care of him now and mom is still around. His younger sister is there now too. What I am getting at and how I am so touched is they had "adminisrtrative assistants day" And his class made some cards for the secretary and I. I was very emotional when I read his and this is what he said "Dear Mrs. Lay, I love it how you help evry body around the school. I bet you nobody appricates it more than I do you are one of my favriot actully you are my favoriot I appriciate it when you say the announcements you do a really good job" (Nothing beats little kid spelling) Anyways, when you know this boy's story, even though you don't know it as well as I do, These kind of moments, I think, can be the most meaningful. When you touch a kids life in a positive way, it may be one of the few moments that that child may have in their life. You never know. I try to remember that with the job that I do, even when all the kids do is drive me nuts. I am the adult here, I can handle it , I think........

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Kim,

You are such a loving and caring person. The kids feel it and are drawn to it. I have always admired your sensitivity and ability to make people feel comfortable around you. You are very special.

I love to read your blogs... I'm not big into Facebook, yet, so keep 'em coming.

I love you,

Lissa

Janika said...

The impact people have working with kids cannot be over estimated. Obviously, you have to be sensitive about privacy, but it sounds like your small action, in effect, saved a child's life. Amazing.