Sunday, January 09, 2011

Train Ride

Before Christmas Lee Joe and I got invited to ride a train for his friends Company Christmas party. Lee Joe only worked for him a few times this year but they are good friends. The only hang up we had about going was that Lee Joe was working in Utah. Because his company party was on Saturday, his company rented a car so they could come back for the weekend. Well, Lee Joe had to really push to get everything together so they could leave in time for us to get to Horseshoe Bend where the train is. So they left around one in the afternoon because one of the guys they work with that got the car dinked around for over an hour after he got the car before he showed to get the guys on the way home. Well, my husband upon occasion has a lead foot. So I was getting updates over the course of the afternoon on how close they were to getting home and wasn't looking good from every report. But he kept saying we will still try to get there. So he got his own car in Grand View and was 45 minutes away somewhere around six. In the meantime I had Christmas shopping to do and the dogs needed food so I was at Target waiting to meet him there so we go the rest of the way from Boise to Horseshoe Bend which typically is another 30 or 40 something minutes from there. We kept thinking, I don't think we are going to make it, but we might. And then I get a call that he got stopped coming into Boise. I was keeping pretty relaxed about the whole thing with no expectations until that moment thinking "Crap, what's that going to cost?" I am kind of wound up and know I need to check out. I am pretty sure we need to make some other plans for dinner and maybe we should just write off the train. Minutes later he's laughing when he calls me back saying the cop let him off. "Man you are the luckiest man, how did you manage that?"
He says, "He asked me why I was speeding and I told him that I was trying to catch a train. He said I should have left earlier and I told him that I left Utah at 1 this afternoon. It only took him 3 minutes to check my stuff and he let me off on a warning!" You have to know my husband to know that this is the best luck in THE WORLD because cops love to stop him and give him tickets and it has been really hard work on his part to avoid that affliction in his life. So he was off again but we are really writing off this train trip. He picks me up and he is driving not too much over the speed limit but we are driving through mountains now. I am not relaxed about this thing anymore and ready to give up on the whole idea of making it. It just doesn't look good.
The secretary from his friends company calls Lee Joe and he tells her where we are. So they start talking to the staff on the train. "It leaves a seven, it doesn't wait for anyone." We are so not going to make it. It is 7, she calls us back. We know we are almost there. About 5 after 7 and we can see the lights of the town. She calls us again. "They are waiting not much longer." We are on the main street and try to turn too soon and we figure out where to go while he's on the phone. It is like 10 after 7. He pulls up next to a straw bale where they have marked for parking, not really a parking spot where we should park. We jump out to run to the train and go the wrong way. We can see the party we are about to join in the windows and they are pointing for us to go the other way and we jump up the steps and board the train onto a dining car. It's full of people staring at us as we make our way back to our dining car. Mortified! That is what I am. Way strung out now from the turns on the road to get there with my husbands driving and maybe not making it and now all the people watching our arrival. The train starts going before we sit down. We hear that there were 350 people on the train that we just held up.
It was a nice experience. But it was dark so we couldn't see much outside. They had taken our salad and water when they didn't know that it was for us we were still coming. The dinner was Ok. Some of it was a little cold. Our fault I guess for holding up dinner too. Haha... They had Santa and Mrs. Claus visited our car and a lady with a guitar came and sang Christmas songs with a bunch of construction guys and their wives and girlfriends. So you can imagine how uncooperative some of them were. But it was a fun night. Lee Joe in the white elephant gift exchange won a free eyebrow and upper lip wax. But in the end we used it to get the 2 youngest girls haircut. I have pictures I will add when I get on the other computer to share. I just thought it was an experience to share. Really this is a typical day being married to my husband. Just so you know.

No comments: