Saturday, July 11, 2009

New glasses

The best news is that Hannah was overdue for a new eyeglass prescription. The even better news is that she doesn't have to wear a foil on her lens anymore. She really was kind of tired of it anyways. That's why she didn't wear her glasses all the time. I have insurance that I could all the girls on for eye care. Medicaid gives you little selection. So we were excited to shop for the really cute glasses. There are the absolute cutest Disney Princess eyeglasses they have out now. We bought a pair a few years ago when we had some eye care insurance and I loved them. Hannah picked out the CUTEST pair on Thursday. Check this out. Her pair is purple and pink. I will post pictures of her when we get them. She is so excited to get them!
http://www.bestbuyeyeglasses.com/disney-princess-giselle/298336.html

What the foil has done--- She sees about 20/25-to 20/30 with glasses on with the eye that has the persistent pupillary membrane. She was 20/40 with glasses on when we started. That is pretty good improvement. The other eye does a REALLY good job of seeing and that is why we had to put the foil on. It really was a little piece of clear looking plastic film that obscured the vision in her good eye. Check out those glasses, they are super cute.

Yesterday I spent the entire day at Boise State University at Orientation. Ugh. I didn't realize I needed to be there until Thursday night. But I learned a lot about things I needed to know to get Amber prepared even though she is going to be doing most of this herself. We got a free lunch and free dinner while we were there. I came home with a migraine. Too much sitting I guess. A lot to take in. I was suppose to go back this morning for at least half the day but there wasn't much more I needed to do. Amber was signing herself up for her classes anyway without my help. I did meet some parents from around the country. I met a nice lady from Chicago and a couple people from Los Angeles. It was fun to hear other parents from around the country ask questions about Boise and Idaho, about weather and driving laws and just other little funny things you take for granted living here. Amber went on a tour of the campus and she has been in and around it so much in her high school years that it was more like revisiting places she had been. The neat thing I came away with was a new perspective on the university and how it is settled in a really neat location where the kids can have really fantastic college experience. I guess you have to know Boise and what it has to offer and what is down town to really appreciate it. The lady from LA really likes it here and that has the city feel but not overwhelmingly so. They make a really big deal about it being one of the top 5 bike friendly cities in the nation. So yeah, I like this place and I just appreciate it more and I am glad Amber is sticking around to go to school. We are maybe 10 minutes away from the university and that is mostly just waiting for stoplights. She could ride her bike on the greenbelt and get there in 15 or 20 minutes. And yeah, I am burbling on.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those glasses are the cutest. i like the sleeping beauty 1 ones too the darker not the red. Hope thay last and hold up better than the others ;) when recliner monsters creep out of their homes!!

Janika said...

AMber has always been so low maintenance. I am excited for her. She will do great.

Melissa said...

Hannah's glasses are super cute! Yay, that her weak eye has improved. At least the irritation of the patch was worth something...

Kailyn had to get glasses last week... How many kids do you know would say they want to go to the Eye Doctor when asked what to do with a free day... Just mine! :) But she did have a need - it seems her prescription is the same as mine. So not a lot, but it does make a difference in school and such.

Kai's glasses are similar to the Belle glasses, but they are black on the outside and purply-pink on the inside and the design on the side is flowers. She looks way grown up with them on... But very cute. :)

I wish I was there for the Amber / college thing. I would have kept you company at orientation just to see what they say. I could have sifted the 'spin' messages from the actual for you! :)

I enjoyed my experience there, though, and I'm certain Amber will breeze through it! YAY, Amber!!!

Love ya,

Lissa

Kim and family said...

I want to see pictures of Kailyn! I will tell Hannah that she has glasses too.