Friday, September 17, 2010

Favorite memory

I have a favorite memory when it comes to my job. It's something that happened last year and it literally gave me chills. I probably shared it when it happened but I need to share again.

There is a family that has adopted all their kids from Korea and Vietnam. I guess I assumed that when you are adopted from there you are an American. One day this mom came and brought a little American flag for us to take to her son in class. I was curious as to why it was so important for him to have this flag. When I gave it to his teacher, the other teacher that taught his grade was there too. I lingered as they asked why he would be given an American flag by his mother, What did it mean? Kids are so funny. For a minute he said he didn't know and then it occurred to him. He said that he was adopted but he still wasn't a US citizen yet. The flag his mom sent him meant now he was. He was smiling ear to ear as he explained this to us. And we were all so touched. He is the best young man. He just left to attend another school. I will miss him. But that memory will last with me forever.

1 comment:

Kreller Kaboodle said...

that is REALLY sweet!